It was Friday night around 12:30 (or technically Saturday morning). Joe and I had just gotten home from a night out for dinner and drinks. I was tired and wanted to go to sleep right away. However there were only less than 10 units left in my insulin pump cartridge which I knew wouldn’t last me the entire night since I planned to sleep as last as possible. So it was time to change my infusion set and fill a new cartridge. As I started the process that I do every 3 days and the pump was rewinding, it stopped. It made some alarm kind of sound and a call service, no delivery message came on the screen. Not really what I had in mind for a set change. Especially at almost 1 in the morning. I tried pushing all the buttons and nothing happened. My pump is broke! And the freaking out set in.
I have to admit that I felt very unprepared for a situation like this. Thankfully I have another pump to use as a back up. In the four+ years that I have been pumping, I’ve been fortunate to not have any issues really. I got out my Minimed pump and started a set change. My bg was hanging out around 230 mg/dL at that time so I know I couldn’t waste time getting my insulin delivery going. The only thing that bothered me was that I wasn’t sure if the MM had my current basal rates since it’s been some time since I’ve used it. And I couldn’t compare it to my Animas since it wasn’t currently working. Great. I figured at the time that some insulin was better than none. I got hooked up and what I did next was call Animas’ 24 hour tech support. I explained to the female representative what happened and that my pump had malfunctioned. I told her the error number that came up on the screen when she said “oh that’s not a malfunction” and preceded to tell me that it was a safety test the pump performs. All I had to do was unscrew the battery cap and re-screw it on which reloaded the pump and voila. The pump was working again. As relieved as I was that the pump wasn’t broken, I don’t really get the idea of having some safety test performed that shuts the pump down mid-set change. Since I’ve never experienced this before, I’m hoping not to again. Or at least not often.
What I did learn though is to write down my basal and bolus rates outside of the pump itself to have readily available, which I did the very next morning. And I would recommend that to anyone who uses a pump for those just in case moments since we do rely on pieces of technology. I’d love to know if any other Animas users has experienced this sort of thing.
Sorry Animas, I wasn’t too happy with you on this one.